Monday, February 28, 2011

Kiddie Pool

Sometimes I feel like someone threw me into a pool. I am screaming, thrashing, flailing, and sputtering only to hear them say, " Just stand up !" Only then do I realize that I am in the shallow end of the pool. The only real threat is the one I pose to myself. Remember those little plastic kiddie pools of your youth? While we are in the middle of a relentless cold freeze, I find myself dreaming of sitting in one with a book and an Iced Tea during the sweltering hot days of summer! It sounds quite ideal! For one, I can afford a $20. pool. Secondly, My book is less likely to get soaked in such a small amount of water. Third, I wouldn't have to worry about pond creatures. ( leeches, water snakes, eels, dragon flies, wasps, the slippery, mucky pond bottom.) Last but not least, I wouldn't have to put myself in an awkward position by revealing my bathing suit clad body around to the masses. I could be quite content to while my hours away in that small, plastic pool with my wetsuit on while never leaving my backyard!. In my heart of hearts I know that I need to reach for something bigger than myself. I am not saying that bigger is better. What I mean is that I know I shouldn't limit myself at the expense of missing out on all the wonderful, awe inspiring adventures out there in the big ocean of life. I need to shed off the old ways of thinking and my wetsuit of vulnerability. I need to let go of my inflatable swims of fear and lack of confidence. I have a feeling I am going to make a BIG splash!

1 comment:

  1. Nice Heidi!! You know if you really want to make it feel like summer, turn your heat up in the house one night, get in a nice warm bathtub and grab a book.

    ReplyDelete